Sometimes, for different reasons, you want to display blocks of information outside a regular WordPress post/page. In order to achieve this install the Custom Field Widget. This plugin will allow you to insert the desired information in a custom field and have that information displayed in a sidebar only on that specific page or post.
Use cases for the Custom Field Widget:
- Show a map for each post (make sure that you have the correct width of the sidebar when adding the embed code)
- Show alerts or important information related to the post
- If you are using guest authors display their information (including G+ authorship) without creating a new user
- Showcase products related to the post content
- Add some post specific downloads
- The widget is conditional. That means that you can create more than one custom field and add multiple widgets to the sidebar. Each time a matching custom field is found in a post, the content will be displayed
- If you don’t want to show the whole custom fields section in the editor, use the More Fields plugin to have a nice area to entry your aside text.
NOTE: Even though the Custom Field Widget was last updated in 2008, it works perfectly in 2012 with the latest version (3.4)